Call us! (618) 395-3945

Monday, October 10, 2016

Add Some Detail to Everyday Stuff - Spice Up Your Slow Cooker

Sometimes people have great ideas on how to pretty up everyday things around the house using our hardware and this one from Designs by Studio C is a great example! Personalize your slow cooker with something that's more your style than the little plastic handle!

Like most people, I am a huge fan of using a slow cooker to make meals. It doesn’t get any easier – put the food in and turn it on, and a few hours later dinner is served. It all came to a halt when the handle on the lid of my slow cooker broke. I didn’t want to spend the money on a new lid plus I wasn’t really sure where I would find a new lid! I found that a drawer knob works perfectly as a new handle on the lid!

use cabinet knobs to decorate slow cooker

use cabinet knobs to upgrade slow cooker

I started by removing the pieces of the old handle on the lid. The handle was held in place with a screw and a rubber washer.

pretty up your slow cooker

how to customize your slow cooker

I dug through my stash to find a knob that I thought would fit and look really, really cool (I’m into that!). I came upon a metal drawer knob with a matching escutcheon plate that I bought years ago. The next trick was finding a #8-32 machine screw in my stash that was short enough to make the knob and plate fit snugly against the lid.

I found a ¾” #8-32 machine screw that fit into the end of the knob perfectly. I threaded the screw through the rubber washer that was originally on the lid, then threaded the escutcheon plate and knob on the machine screw. I made sure the screw was snug but not too tight so that it interfered with the natural expansion and contraction of the heat of the lid. 

customize your slow cooker

I love the way it looks but the only bad thing is that the knob gets a little hot. To me, that is a small sacrifice compared to trying to find a new lid! Any style of drawer knob can be used - a porcelain knob may also work and may get less hot, but I would definitely avoid a plastic knob as it may melt! 

No comments: