Call us! (618) 395-3945

Friday, September 25, 2015

Make a Cabinet Door Coat Rack

If you’re not into building a base for a coat rack, another inexpensive (and really easy) option is to use an old cabinet door. Old cabinet doors can be found in flea markets, thrift stores, or if you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area, they are an excellent source! All you do is paint it to your liking and add hooks… It doesn’t get any easier than that!

Make a Cabinet Door Coat Rack


Materials:

Cabinet Door

Coat hooks with screws

Sandpaper (100, 150, 220 grits)

Finishing supplies (primer & paint, or stain, sealer)

I found this really long cabinet door at my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore that I thought would make an excellent coat rack! I sanded the door and painted it white. I felt it needed something else so I used my vinyl and paper cutter to cut designs from vinyl to apply to the door frame. I painted over them in black (paint samples are excellent for projects like this!), then removed the vinyl when the paint was completely dry. Instead of vinyl, narrow masking tape can be used to create stripes or diamonds. Heart-shaped stickers or round stickers can be used for a fun look.

Make a Cabinet Door Coat Rack - frog tape

Make a Cabinet Door Coat Rack - use stencil

Make a Cabinet Door Coat Rack - paint it


I had a few numbered coat hooks that I was saving for just the right project… They were perfect for this!

Make a Cabinet Door Coat Rack - hook


I added a couple of large soda can tabs with washers and screws to the back of the door for hanging. Other hangers such as sawtooth or d-tabs would work equally well.

Make a Cabinet Door Coat Rack - finished


 Easy, right? Drawer handles or knobs can also be used making this a great piece for organization!

No comments: